November 2014 News & Bonfire Night Recipe
With the weather finally getting cooler, November tends to see a change in the type of food we prefer to eat. Winter warmers and comfort food are high on our agenda and we have some fantastic classes aimed at expanding your repertoire to satisfy those cravings!
IT'S PARTY TIME!
This week at YORK Cookery School, we're celebrating our 2nd birthday! To help us celebrate, we thought we'd give you a cheeky 10% discount when you book onto any of our upcoming workshops or masterclasses in 2014 & 2015.
Hurry though, you've only got until Sunday 9th November to take advantage of this great offer. Just enter the code HAPPY2 into the shopping basket when you book.
DEMONSTRATION EVENINGS - JUST £5
1st December - Macarons
2nd December - Indian Cuisine
4th December - Christmas Canapés
Let our expert chefs show you how they make some of their favourite dishes which you can sample at the end of the evening.
National Home-made Bread Day
November 17th marks National Home-made Bread Day and, due to popular demand, we've added an extra date for our Christmas Breads workshop on November 22nd.
On this 'hands-on' workshop, you'll create your own German Stollen and a fabulously boozy Raisin Tea-ring. The satisfaction of making and eating your own scrumptious, home-made bread really is second to none!
We've added lots more bread workshops for you to choose from in our 2015 Calendar.
Bonfire night is great time for the kids and a fantastic opportunity to get them in the kitchen to make some fab food to share.
Our Young Chef's workshops last week saw them making some beautifully simple recipes and we've shared our recipe for 'Loaded Jackets' below.
Christmas is getting closer by the day and our vouchers make the perfect present for anyone with an interest in food; whatever their ability in the kitchen! You could even team up their voucher with a "YORK Cookery School' apron to they have something to unwrap on Christmas morning. Starting from just £25, you can create your own personalised voucher here.
Our 2015 calendar is filling out nicely. We've already got a fantastic variety of classes available for you to choose from but if there's anything you'd be particularly interested in, please let us know.
Recipe for Bonfire Night
- 1 tbsp cream cheese2 medium-sized baking potatoes
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp finely chopped chives
- 1 large handful of grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 20g/4 tsp butter
- Cayenne pepper or chilli flakes (optional)
- Pierce the skins of the baking potatoes with a sharp knife and cook in a pre-heated oven (180c) for one hour and then leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients, seasoning well with salt and pepper and adding cayenne pepper and/or chilli flakes if preferred.
- Split the jacket potatoes in half and remove all the cooked potato from the skins.
- Add the cooked potato to the bowl of cheese, herb mixture and mix well.
- Place a teaspoon of butter in each half skin and then reload the skins, splitting the mixture evenly into each skin.
- Sprinkle each half with grated cheese and/or cayenne pepper or chilli flakes.
- Place in an oven proof dish and cook in the oven at 180c until bubbling and golden-brown (approximately 20 mins).
- Enjoy !!